Friday, May 31, 2013

Kilimanjaro to Los Angeles

Friday, January 25, 2013


The first flight wasn't too bad since the plane was pretty empty and everybody could have a whole row to themselves. I was lucky enough to see Kilimanjaro after takeoff. Even though it was dark outside, I didn't take my eyes off of the mountain until if finally disappeared behind the airplane. After dinner, I laid down on my three seats and tried to sleep a little. It wasn't the most comfortable "bed" since we couldn't completely fold the armrests up but it was still better than trying to sleep sitting up. I kept turning from one side to the other between bathroom visits. In the morning, we got a light breakfast before we arrived to Amsterdam. One 9-hour flight down, another 11-hour flight to go.
 
This one wasn't too bad either. The connection was pretty smooth this time. No hours of waiting between flights like on the way to Africa. Even though I didn't sleep much during the night, I was actually pretty much awake all day. The lady sitting in my row and I got lucky because the man who sat between us was moved to another seat due to the lack of legroom he had. This way, we were pretty comfortable and I only had to climb through her when I had to visit the bathroom.
 
I spent the time during the long flight watching movies. I watched Walk The Line, Slumdog Millionaire, Magic Mike, and Taken 2. We got two hot meals and I snacked quite often. Only at the end of the flight, when we were approaching Los Angeles, I started feeling very tired and I couldn't keep my eyes open or my head up anymore. Since we left an hour late from Amsterdam, we arrived about 45 minutes late to Los Angeles.
 
I was sure happy to see my darling Randy waiting for me at the airport with 13 red roses. He brought me home and I went straight to bed because I was exhausted from the long journey. I slept for about 6 hours and when I woke up at 8pm, he was in the middle of preparing dinner (chili and corn muffins).
 
And with this, my great trip to Africa has ended. It's now time to prepare for my next adventure of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment