Friday, May 17, 2013

Kilimanjaro (Day 7):

Mweka Camp to Mountain Inn

Friday, January 18, 2013

 
Last day on the mountain! I slept well but not continuously. I got up at 6am and started packing. Andrew, Mio, and I had breakfast together at the dining tent. After breakfast, I finished packing. I had to take another Imodium tablet because I had some diarrhea again this morning.
 
I paid my porters and we took a group picture together before we started the final trek down to Mweka Gate. Even though it was all downhill, it still wasn't an easy hike back. The trail was very slippery and I had to walk carefully not to slip and fall. I relied heavily on my poles. After about two hours of walking, the going got a little easier since the trail wasn't wet anymore and I could actually enjoy a nice walk in a beautiful forest.
 
Back at the gate, I picked up my certificate and then we drove back to the hotel in about 40 minutes. We drove among coffee plantations and Faustin pointed out the coffee factory. Once we got back to the hotel, I paid Ambrus and Faustin. The latter signed my certificate before we said our good-byes. The receptionist gave me two more certificates from Shah Tours: one for Meru and one for Kili.
 
First thing I did was, I went on Facebook and let the world know that I'm back from Kili and that I have conquered the mountain. I spent the next hour and a half unpacking and cleaning/washing things followed by a long shower.
 
At 2pm, I came out to the restaurant to eat lunch. The New Yorkers were already eating. I celebrated my success with a big bottle of Kilimanjaro beer. I got a little tipsy after finishing the whole bottle on an empty stomach. I ate the usual Indian food: fish and potatoes with peas. I think, I'm going to have a whole body massage plus a foot massage now. Fabrizio is also back from the mountain. He summited half an hour after me. He said that summit day was very hard for him, too. He is a guy in very good shape, pure muscle, and he was having a hard time as well. I guess, I shouldn't feel so bad about my performance then.
 
The massage lady was very busy today  so I had to wait until 6pm for my massage. She gave me a one hour full body (and I mean full body: stomach, boobs, face, and head) massage. She put oil on my freshly washed hair so I will have to wash it again.
 
Before my massage, I facebooked again for an hour and I could chat with Randy for the last 15 minutes. He passed the real estate broker exam. He is currently in San Diego with his parents attending a Fortune Builders seminar.
 
I started packing after the massage but stopped to eat dinner. I ate with the New Yorkers and Fabrizio and his female friend. I mostly talked to the latter two. After dinner, Roheel briefed me about my safari. Unfortunately, I won't be staying in the nice tent lodges but in the same small tent as on the mountain. So, I will still be roughing it for six more days. I also talked to Mr. Shah and he invited me for a drink. I had another ginger ale.
 
I finished packing after the briefing and I'm ready to take another shower now. Unfortunately, I had diarrhea again tonight so I started taking the Cipro.
 
My Kili crew: Ambrus (cook), Peter (porter), Gaston (porter),
Faustin (guide), and Goodliving (porter/waiter)
 
A walk in the woods
 
Posing in the forest
 
Porters on the last leg of the trek
 
Canopy
 
Everlastings
 
Arriving at Mweka Gate
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment